Do you know the difference between mixing and mastering?
What Is Audio Mixing
Task That Can be Done In The Mixing Process
- Adjust the levels of each track's volume.
- Add effects, like EQ, compression, reverbs, chorus, distortion and any other audio effect you have in your arsenal to each track.
- The panning of tracks to make a nice stereo field
- Sending tracks to a bus by using sends. This is good for effects like reverb and chorus as you can control the wet & dry amount of each effect. It's also good for parallel compression.
- The bouncing or exporting of all the tracks into a single stereo wav file. This is done when everything sounds the way you want it to sound and that stereo wav file is used for the mastering stage.
What Is Audio Mastering
Things That May Be Done When Mastering
- Correct the EQ deficiencies.
- Enhance the stereo field
- Dynamic controlled processing (compressors and limiters)
- Raise the LUFS or RMS throughout the entire song
- Arrange the song order
- Insert codes like ISRC, UPC and other PQ Codes
- Transfer songs or album to a gold master burned to red book specs or to a DDP image